Translate

Sunday 14 February 2016

Mexico: HUMMINGBIRD HILL RANCH - The Others

A ranch is a ranch! Ranch means animals. And animals need care!



I though that it would be easy to photograph these "domestic" creatures but NOPE!

They ran free and they did not care for their portraits being taken.
It was somewhat like photographing wildlife.



All of my previous wildlife experiences came handy here; out of many shots of these piglets only two are somewhat sharp.

Milli and Pilli .... the famous pair, well described in Carlos's book.

Seriously, they were hilarious!




What an artistic morning it was!
Pastoral scenes in the morning mist.....
Ewes with their lambs peacefully grazing on the "sacred hill".... 
Catching the spirit of the motherhood and playful youth ....what could be more beautiful?

How about adding an image of a tiny flower in the grass!













Getting that tiny blossom in focus an onto my SD card was a big task! Not larger than the fingernail on my pinkie it was fearfully hugging the ground as if to hide from the ever grazing sheep. 

Down on my knees! 
I was totally absorbed in the task, the eye to the camera, knees and elbows being abused by the underlying rock, rear end pointing upwards to the sky. Must get that flower!!!!

Thankfully he made a grunt!!!


The ram had been watching patiently for quite a while and finally decided to take action. He chased Tisha several times before; so - why not to butt the crawling Canadian?



Luckily I heard the sound and turned back in time!

Abandoning my equipment I backed onto the very top of the hill. 

But no! 
HE was the boss!

And HE advanced and assumed my place while I continued backwards down the hill and towards the fence.

HE knew!

Carlos showed up in a nick of time! Not realizing how scared I was, he called his darling ram by name and that was it. 

The boss gave me one more warning look, then royally departed  for a scratch and a cuddle.

Saved for today!



And with that the ram and I came to a mutual understanding:

He will take care of the sheep and I will explore the banana  and bamboo groves. Maybe the flower garden.

But all that only behind the electric fence!

And never from his hill!

Point taken.





No comments:

Post a Comment